Re: A lot of very unhappy Linux user

On Sat, 2011-11-12 at 00:29 +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> No replies?
>
> Not from users, nor developers. Something is definitely wrong here.

Something is wrong because nobody responded to a barrage of emails
within three hours? I'm a developer. I don't get paid to do this.

> On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 21:56 +0100, Svante Signell wrote:

There are no applets in GNOME Shell. The "everything is an applet,
let's cram everything up there" model of GNOME Panel was a mess,
and a pain for anybody doing documentation and support.

I'm sure somebody could write a netspeed shell extension.

I don't know why Pidgin isn't working for you anymore. I'm not aware
of any architectural changes in GNOME that would cause other apps to
lose connectivity. Have you asked the Pidgin devs?

> > > And how do I get rid if the annoying sounds?

Do you mean the alert sound?

1. Click your name on the top bar and select System Settings.
2. Open Sound.
3. On the Sound Effects tab, select Mute.

That's in the help, by the way.

>  I did not set it in
> > > gnome2. And why do I have tow users when logging in to gdm3 after the
> > > upgrade, how to resolve that?

That sounds like a bug in your distribution's upgrade process.

> > And where do I set the time/date views? I'm not fond of US AM/PM style
> > in gdm3 login window,

The date and time display are controlled with the region and
language formats.

1. Click your name on the top bar and select System Settings.
2. Open Region and Language.
3. Select the Formats tab.

At this time, you can only select a region that matches the settings
you like most. I wouldn't mind more fine-grained control myself. (I'm
in the US, but I don't think weeks should start on Sunday.) I'm sure
you can manage to set some of this manually by setting various LC_*
environment variables. That's how *nix users did things since before
GNOME ever existed. And GNOME 2 didn't have a panel to control any
of this.

>  and in in the only panel left, how to show the
> > date in addition to the time?

gsettings set  org.gnome.shell.clock show-date true

I also like showing the seconds:

gsettings set  org.gnome.shell.clock show-seconds true

Or just download GNOME Tweak Tool. It has both of these and more.

Cheers,
Shaun