Re: A lot of very unhappy Linux user

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 12:19:19PM -0200, Sergio de Almeida Lenzi wrote:
> ok... but if you do not have the gnomeshell??  what about those
> 200 desktops that are unable to display 3D???
>
> I bought several (20) diskless stations Intel Atom N525..   and  linux
> is unable to start the 3D in the chipset, only vesa is supported...

Why buy something without a supported driver? VESA is usually really
slow. Anyway, work is underway to get software rendering workable.
It is already working in Fedora rawhide, but no time has been spent on
optimization, only to make it work. Next up is checking for speed and
seeing if gnome-shell should assist in making it easier (e.g. maybe
automatically not show shadows in case it is slow to do so).

> Besides, running a 3D desktop using remote X (xdmcp)  over the network
> I do not say it is possible, or if will overload the 100Mbits network

It should just be made more efficient. It is not a 3D desktop though, it
just has compositing.
--
Regards,
Olav