Re: How to work with GNOME3? (on Debian experimental)

On 06/13/2011 11:45 PM, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
Hi,

many thanks for your help!

On 2011-06-13 22:24, Frederic Muller wrote:
 From your question it's not really clear what's missing,

The first thing, that I find a little bit strange is the "user
menu".

I can use it to log out, but it seems that "Suspend" only
suspends to RAM, a function I almost never need, but no
"Hibernate" (to disk). How do I suspend/hibernate to disk?

Answered in the other thread.

Why does it display my name? I know my name :~) Maybe this real
estate should be used in a more useful way. How can I configure
it to not display my name?

I have no idea. I suppose in case of multiple users using the same box it is useful. I think it's been there for quite some times (and it is something I used to remove).

There are menu entries "Available" and "Busy". When I'm working
at the computer I'm obviously busy, so what are they good for?
Can I make these menu points go away?

Available & busy as someone already answered is for the system to block notifications or not. Example: you're doing your monthly accounting, it will last 2 hours and you do not want to receive any notification from the system, or IM or ... then you set yourself as busy.

I have never tested this, so I'm just describing what my understanding of how the feature works.

Also I'm looking for a way to change the depressing
grey-on-black of the panel and menus with a fresh black-on-grey
look. Can I change the colours somehow?

Not sure what you mean but for theme you have an extension as well, also gnome-tweak-tool and you can find quite some theme on deviantart:
http://gnome-shell.deviantart.com/gallery/28081982
Again I use the default theme so i wouldn't know much about it.

but if
keyboard you like then this link might give you a few hints I hope:

https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

This is really nice, thanks! This hint is especially useful:

"Most keybindings can be viewed under the User Menu ->  System
Settings ->  Keyboard ->  Shortcuts"

I did not yet find out whether I can use the "User Menu" without
the mouse. Is there an Alt+sth. combination for accessing it?

CTRL+ALT+TAB and then the right arrow key (keep it pressed, it'll stop at the end) to more around, down key to open the menu. There could be a faster way, I'm not aware of it.

Cheers