Re: Resizing Applications Icons.

On Gnome 2 at least (Gnome 3 may have similar functionality, if not
it's a serious regression), open a terminal and enter

gnome-appearance-properties

or find the 'Appearance' entry on one of the menus.
>From there, it should be possible to choose a theme. Some themes have
smaller icons, and additional themes can be downloaded. Some of these
have been optimised for saving space.

Hope this helps.