Re: How to set folder properties

On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 07:09 +0000, M G, Bharath Narayan wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have a requirement where I mount my file system at a mount point and
> I would like to disable previews for that folder, i.e., when a folder
> is opened, each file content is read populate the icons with previews.
> I used gconftool-2 to set the folder properties to show icon only and
> not to preview, but still a read request comes for my files. My
> questions are these:
>

> 1.      Is there a way I can disable the read from happening? So that
> a file manager like Nautilus doesn’t try to read nor show preview of
> the files.

you can make it hidden by adding a dot as prefix.

old_folder_name -> .old_folder_name

If you make it hidden file manager will no longer show it, but you can
access it by typing in the nautilus/file manager location bar.

> 2.      Can I do this specific to a given folder, i.e., when I mount
> my file system at a given directory, I would like these settings to
> apply for only that folder.

you can use chown command to disable read permission for normal user.
man chown //for details information

> 3.      Is this a file manager specific thing or has it got to do with
> gdm?

As far I know it is a file manager specific thing.