Re: Newly installed UBUNTU is crippled --- Help!

On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 12:47 +0000, sidnie feit comcast net wrote:
> Thank you for the reply!
>
> After browsing around UBUNTU message lists,
> I realized yesterday afternoon that I had the UNITY interface
>
> I found
>     Ubuntu Documentation > Community Documentation > UbuntuNetbookEditionUninstallUnity
> which helped me to install
> the old EFL interface that works:
> DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL:
>     netbook-launcher-efl
>     ubuntu-netbook-efl-default-settings
> There were no choices on the login screen until I did this install.
>
> Some general comments for the List:
> ALL of the HELP screens integrated with UNITY
> gave instructions for the interface that has Applications, Places, & System menus.

Having to figure out and maintain two different help documents
for different interfaces has been difficult for the folks who
work on the Ubuntu help. They've put a lot into contributing
help to GNOME (the help you're seeing), but the shift to Unity
has been hard for them. I'm sure they'll pull things together
by the release this fall.

> UNITY was buggy and often unresponsive to double--clicks and other control keys,
> and sometimes caused an application to disappear when I opened
> another (and yes, I did alt-tab and also searched all of the workspaces.
> UNITY is not ready for prime time and certainly should not be the
> automatic default for newbies.

You should really give this feedback to somebody at Ubuntu.
This mailing list is about GNOME. Unity is an alternate
environment developed by Ubuntu. The people on this list
aren't involved with Unity.

Regards,
Shaun