Re: remove interface tab (please don't)

On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 22:51 +0000, phil wrote:
> On 25/02/10 02:42, Shaun McCance wrote:
>

> > These two screenshots convey the exact same amount of information
> > to me and the other 10% of males in the world who are color-blind.
> >

> <ot>
> another one who thinks that all colour blindness means you can't see
> colours lol, (in fact most of those who can't percieve colours at all
> have visual agnosia not colour blindness, but that's another thing) and
> their is nowhere near 10% of the males in the world who have visual
> agnosia, there are approx 10% of males who are colour blind but colour
> blindness means you struggle to tell the difference between different
> hues of certain colours (like red and green or blue and yellow) not that
> you see the world in black and white. so those pictures convey totally
> different information to me as a colour blind male, exactly
> the same as they do to a correctly sighted person</ot>

Did you miss the part where I said "to me"?  I have red-green
color blindness.  I know my vision isn't monochromatic.

You are aware that there are six types of non-monochromatic
color-blindness conditions, right?  So what you can see is
not a conclusive test of what other color-blind users can
see.

As for how common it is, here's Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness#Prevalence

Red-green is listed as 7 to 10%.  OK, so I picked the high
end.  But I certainly wouldn't say 7% is "nowhere near"
(your words) 10%.  It's still a lot of people.

It's very simple: do not use color as the only means of
conveying information.  It's even in the HIG:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/design-color.html.en#hsv

--
Shaun McCance
http://syllogist.net/