Re: Disabling the padlock icon for read-only .desktop files

On 21 Jul 2009, at 13:49, Calum wrote:

find /usr/share/icons/gnome/ -iname "*nowrite*" -exec rm {} \;

... works perfectly.

Just be aware that the danger of this (or indeed Shaun's) approach is that there may be other applications that wish to use the nowrite emblems as well, although I'm not aware of any off the top of my head.

Is this not something that should perhaps be included in GConf?

Gconf still tends to be reasonably (and intentionally) free of "every other option we can think of", so we'd probably want a better reason than "it looks unfriendly" to add a gconf key. User-unfriendliness is certainly a valid concern, but it would really be better to fix it so that the necessary information is conveyed in a more elegant way, rather than just providing a hidden Unbreak Nautilus option. (Whatever a more elegant way might be; I don't have any specific ideas.)

By all means file a bug/request against nautilus in bugzilla.gnome.org, though, and people can discuss it further there.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            OpenSolaris Desktop Team