Re: Run script on login and/or wake

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:05 AM, ritz <khadgaray gmail com> wrote:

On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 08:30 -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to know when a user is available -- similar to
> how a chat application might know if a user is available by keyboard
> or mouse activity.
>
> That is, I'd like to run a script when a user first logs in (which
> might be automatic login as, for example, Ubuntu allows), and when the

I believe this can be accomplished by hooking into gdm PostLogin script,
along with gnome-power-manager/dbus messages.

PostLogin works for login from gdm, but doesn't catch the wake from sleep/unlock screen.  I suppose that's the gnome-power-manager that you mention.  Can you provide any suggestions where I might hook into that?

I suppose the other option would be to have cron watch xset output, but that's kind of a crude approach.

Perhaps a script in /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux to catch the wake up.  But, I'm just guessing...

Thanks,

--
Ritesh Khadgaray
Linux and Desktop