Re: ????????????????????????

Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:07 PM, C.Smith <cgasmith comcast net> wrote:
>> Whether or not I agree with the sender is moot, this email violates the code
>> of conduct and is not appropriate for this group. I wont be surpised if you
>> get axed out of it. Think before you send.
>>

> The same e-mail was sent to other GNOME mailing lists as well.
> It was a "fake mail", someone used the e-mail of a developer to get
> past the subscription requirement.
> Thus, the 'sender' is not the real sender of the spam.

There seems to be a need for education on how broken SMTP really is.  It
is trivial to impersonate and it's _really_ hard to fix that without
removing some of the very nice properties of SMTP at the same time.

I tend to look at this whole debacle as a really good reason for signing
emails.  If the people who's addresses have been hijacked had been in
the habit of signing all outgoing email, then it would have been obvious
to everyone that they weren't the original senders of the spam.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

Haskell is an even 'redder' pill than Lisp or Scheme.
     -- PaulPotts