RE: Wireless Setup Problem

I am guessing that you are using network-manager. I usually like
network-manager, but the one consistent problem I have had with
network-manager has been setting manual IP addresses. You may want to
consider installing WICD instead. I, and many others, have had great
luck with WICD.

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php
Hope this helps!

Have fun!