Re: installing vibuntu 1.2

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Jason Jordan" <johnxj comcast net>
To: <gnome-list gnome org>
Cc: "Ugly Me" <ugly frightenstein com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 11:05 PM
Subject: Re: installing vibuntu 1.2

> Vibuntu is obviously a typo for Ubuntu. The typo was probably created
> by an OCR software or something like that.

Uh, no. I was checking this out.
True if you go for http://www.vibuntu.com it will redirect you to
www.ubuntu-vm.org but that wasn't really the intent.
The VN apparently refers to Viet Nam.

Ah. According to
http://www.puppylinux.org/community/blogs/drbongo/vinux-new-name-vibuntu the
Vibuntu distribution has been renamed Vinux.
It redirects me to the new home page http://vinux.org.uk/

In large type it starts:

a.. The aim of this project is to develop a new alternative / blindfriendly
live-CD / installer for people with visual impairments. The current release
is based on the Ubuntu Linux distribution.
a.. VINUX (Vinux Is Not Ubuntu but gnu/linuX) is a remaster of the Intrepid
Ibex live CD optimised for the needs of blind and partially sighted users!
a.. In order to fit all of the accessibility settings on the CD I have had
to remove some applications including: The GIMP graphical image manipulation
program, the F-Spot photo-manager and the Ekiga voice over IP package. You
can easily reinstall these and many more open-source applications if you
choose to install it on your hard-drive.
a.. Full-screen magnification can be activated with a simple keystroke!
a.. I have set up a VINUX Development Blog at
http://vinux-development.blogspot.com/ for anyone who is interested! I will
use this to document the development of VINUX and any relevant issues so
that anyone who wants to create their own accessible remix of Ubuntu, or
just modify their existing installation can do so easily. There is an RSS
feed available if anyone wants to be automatically notified of new posts. I
will still post any significant announcements such as the release of new
versions and/or notable improvements on the mailing lists and forums, as
well as continuing to asking for help, advice and suggestions and providing
them when I can. Thanks again for everyone's support, advice, suggestions
and criticisms!
a.. Disclaimer: the Ubuntu name and logos are owned by Canonical and we wish
to make it very clear that although Vinux is derived from Ubuntu, it is not
produced by or officially endorsed by Canonical in any way. Vinux was
provisionally released as Vibuntu, but after discussions with the Canonical
Trademark Team who did not want us to use the 'buntu' suffix, (but were
happy for us to call it the 'Ubuntu VI Remix') we decided to call it Vinux
which now recursively stands for 'Vinux Is Not Ubuntu but gnu/linuX!