Session start up scripts

Hello

Gnome 2.6 on up-to-date Debian Squeeze using 2.6.30 kernel on a single user system:

I have a couple of difficulties resolving what services, etc., are started at login. I have used System -> Preferences -> Sessions to identify the services and applications I want started. This includes using xscreensaver (rather than Gnome-screensaver) and Conky.

However, each login, so gnome-screensaver is initiated and Conky isn't. Whilst these aren't major issues, I wouldn't mind sorting them out, so I was curious if there are textual configuration files that I can hack to set this up.

Also, how does one override (default?) applications that are started when a removable media is loaded? I don't want to use Totem (but don't want to uninstall it either) as my default media player for DVDs, but despite changing this in Preferred Applications option, Totem is always initiated when a DVD is inserted. Again, are there some textual configuration files I can access to set my preferences directly to use VLC, for example?

Thanks for any assistance in these matters.

AG