Re: newby / problem downloading skype

What exactly is your problem?
Have you tried looking at http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/ ?
I never tried to install Skype under GNOME myself, but there're probably some instructions on official site.

Also, GNOME is not a "linux", it's a graphical environment that can be installed on top of lots of different distributions of Linux (like Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Mandriva, etc)
If you won't find a solution of your problem on Skype official website, you should probably google something like "skype linux" or "skype [your-linux-distribution-name-here]".

In Linux, when something isn't working out of the box, there's a fifty percent chance you'll gonna have to spend some time installing it.