Re: gnome changes

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 05:57 +0300, Hussam Al-Tayeb wrote:
> Throughout the last two gnome releases, I have noticed that less
> applications use gnomeprintui and more use gtkprint. There is also the
> gnome-vfs to gvfs/gio migration. I also noticed that less application
> use libgnomeui.
> I have a few questions.
>
> Are there plans to move the rest of the applications such as gnome-games
> and gnome-utils from gnomeprintui to gtkprint?
>
> What about gnomecanvas? Can applications be ported to directly use cairo
> instead? Is that possible? Does this require changes to gtk+ can this be
> application specific?

The general push is to kill off libgnome, libgnoeui,
libgnomecanvas, libgnomeprint, and libgnomeprintui.
It's not an instant process.  See:

http://live.gnome.org/ProjectRidley

As for the canvas, there have been a lot of recent
discussions about how best to implement a new canvas
inside GTK+.  See, for example, Havoc's post:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2008-March/msg00017.html

--
Shaun