Gnome Settings Daemon failed to start

Can anyone point me to info about this error?

Every once in a while when I start up Ubuntu Gutsy I get a message
saying the Gnome settings daemon failed to start.  My desktop theme
does not start (I guess I get some default theme) and sometimes my
desktop background also does not display.  (I've even had a few times
when my desktop is blank with no icons).

But other than the theme not showing up, the machine seems to run
normally.

I'm curious what situation would cause this, and what else I might
need to look at to track down the problem.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley hank org