Re: Shutting off graphical ssh agent?

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 09:24 -0400, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
> I'm running an up-to-date version of Gnome on a Debian Lenny
> system. Until a recent upgrade, when I launched an ssh command
> from the command line, I would get a typical ssh password
> request on the command line (unless I was running ssh-agent
> myself). However, I am now getting a pop-up window that reads
> "Enter password to unlock private key. An application wants
> access to the private key 'id_rsa', but it is locked". I first
> have to kill this window before getting back to the command
> line.
>
> How do I turn off this behavior? The only items in the Gnome
> menus that would appear like they could control it are
> "Encryption and Keyrings" and "Keyring manager", but neither
> seems to do this. And commenting out "use-ssh-agent" from
> /etc/X11/Xsession.options also doesn't work. I just want to
> use the command line here, I don't want Gnome deciding whether
> I should be using an ssh-agent or not, and I don't want to
> have to reach for the mouse every time I run ssh to tell Gnome
> not to.

Hi,

That would be gnome-keyring, information about the SSH keys feature and
instructions for turning it off is available
in /usr/share/doc/gnome-keyring/README.Debian (reproduced below)

         SSH agent
         ---------
        The GNOME keyring includes the functionality of the SSH agent, and it
        can break some setups, especially if ssh-agent is started by hand. If
        you want to disable it, you can set the
        /apps/gnome-keyring/daemon-components/ssh GConf key to false.

HTH,

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson