gnome-web-photo compile problems and instability

Hi,

I’m trying to get gnome-web-photo to work on one of our servers, but I’m having a bit of a mysterious problem.

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the matter?

First off, I didn’t have a binary package for gnome-web-photo on CentOS, so I downloaded the source from

ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/gnome-web-photo/0.4/gnome-web-photo-0.4.tar.gz

I couldn’t get it to compile without adding the following environment variables:

GECKO_INCLUDE_ROOT="/usr/include/xulrunner-sdk-1.9pre"

CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/xulrunner-sdk-1.9pre/system_wrappers -I/usr/include/xulrunner-sdk-1.9pre/string -I/usr/include/xulrunner-sdk-1.9pre/thebes -I/usr/include/nspr4"

LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib/xulrunner-sdk-1.9pre/sdk/lib"

It seems like this is a problem with the autoconf script, isn’t it? The ./configure command ought to add those links automatically. Or am I missing something?

After doing ./configure && make && make install with the above env vars, I then had to add “/usr/lib/xulrunner-sdk-1.9pre/sdk/lib” to my /etc/ld.so.conf

So, the app compiles and runs, and it works fine, however it only runs once!

The second and subsequent times I run it, it just hangs until it reaches the “-t” time limit, then it emits “Load timed out …” and stops.

Sometimes I can get it to run again by restarting the X server, and sometimes not. Usually, it starts working again after 30 mins or so (but again, only once).

I’ve compared the output of “ps –e” before and after the first run, and I’ve diff’ed the /tmp directory, and there are no changes. I don’t know where to look for orphaned processes / components from XPCOM.

… so I was wondering if anyone knew:

  • What’s going wrong with the compile? Are the environment variables I’ve used above sensible?
  • Why does the app hang on the 2nd and subsequent runs, and is there anything I can do about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

P.S. I tried compiling the app in debug mode, but the only relevant flag I could find was “GNOME_ENABLE_DEBUG”. Here’s the output of a failed run with that turned on:

# gnome-web-thumbnail -t 20 --mode=thumbnail --display=localhost:10.0 http://www.mozilla.org public/images/moz18.png

state_change old-state CLEAN new-state NEXT

Dispatch state NEXT

Now processing: URI 'http://www.mozilla.org' => output file 'public/images/moz18.png'

onbeforeunload

onunload

Load timed out; consider using --force or increasing the timeout (use 0 for no timeout)

state_change old-state WAIT new-state CLEAN

Dispatch state CLEAN

onbeforeunload

onerror

onunload

onload

state_change old-state CLEAN new-state NEXT

Dispatch state NEXT

state_change old-state NEXT new-state END

Dispatch state END

Onunload

And here’s the output of a successful run:

# gnome-web-thumbnail -t 20 --mode=thumbnail --display=localhost:10.0 http://www.mozilla.org public/images/moz17.png

state_change old-state CLEAN new-state NEXT

Dispatch state NEXT

Now processing: URI 'http://www.mozilla.org' => output file 'public/images/moz17.png'

onbeforeunload

onunload

onerror

onload

state_change old-state WAIT new-state WORK

Dispatch state WORK

ThumbnailWriter ctor

1 round(s) of height 2048, result: OK

ThumbnailWriter dtor

state_change old-state WORK new-state CLEAN

Dispatch state CLEAN

onbeforeunload

onload

state_change old-state CLEAN new-state NEXT

Dispatch state NEXT

state_change old-state NEXT new-state END

Dispatch state END

onunload

softwire
Richard Bradley
Tel : 020 7485 7500 ext 230 | Fax : 020 7485 7575
Web : www.softwire.com | E-mail : Richard Bradley softwire com

Addr : 325 Highgate Studios, 53-79 Highgate Road, London NW5 1TL

Softwire Technology Limited. Registered in England no. 3824658. Registered Office : 13 Station Road, London N3 2SB