Re: mixer_applet2 to system tray

> > I'm kind of confused what's an applet and what's an item for the
> > system tray since I was told on this list that applets work with the
> > panel and not the system tray. This is consistent with the fact that
> > /usr/libexec/battstat-applet-2 is an applet and will not work with the
> > system tray only the panel, gnome-power-manager on the other hand
> > works with the system tray. However nm-applet works with the system
>
> nm-applet is not an applet. Unfortunately the developers named it that
> way.. That tray thing is the only exception.

Thanks for the clarification.

> > tray although it's called an applet. In addition when I launch gnome,
> > mixer_applet2 shows up on the gnome system tray and not the panel
> > which made me think that I should be able to use it with any
> > freedesktop.org compliant system tray.
> >
> > So I'm sufficiently confused as to what to expect. Is there a way to
> > get mixer_applet2 run with any tray?
>
> No, as it is an applet (unlike nm-applet).

But then why do I see the little volume control icon belonging to
mixer_applet2 right next to the nm-applet icon on the system tray on
this screenshot?

http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/images/wireless-at-tealuxe.png

I'm assuming that the screenshot indeed shows the system tray and not
the panel since nm-applet is on it.