Re: No access to Install Software

Enno Fennema wrote:
I recently installed Gnome under SuSE Linux 10.3 x86_64 and I could for
a while install/remove packages to my hearts delight. No longer.

When from the Computer menu I click Control Center and then Yast or
immediatel Install Software I get the Enter Root password dialog. Having
entered the pasword the program dies (I know the password is correct
because with any other entry I just get a warning and opportunity to retry).

I also know that yast is working because I can open a terminal,su root
and then # /sbin/yast2 --install

Somewhere the chain breaks when using the Gnome menu but I don't even
know where to start looking.

Any help appreciated,
Enno Fennema

What version of Gnome are you using? The version I'm running (2.20), lets me open up a terminal and drag the menu item to the terminal thus showing me the desktop file that defines the item. If you 'cat' the file you can see the command used to execute the menu item. Maybe you can try to run the command in a terminal and see what happens.

-Jose