No access to Install Software

I recently installed Gnome under SuSE Linux 10.3 x86_64 and I could for
a while install/remove packages to my hearts delight. No longer.

When from the Computer menu I click Control Center and then Yast or
immediatel Install Software I get the Enter Root password dialog. Having
entered the pasword the program dies (I know the password is correct
because with any other entry I just get a warning and opportunity to retry).

I also know that yast is working because I can open a terminal,su root
and then # /sbin/yast2 --install

Somewhere the chain breaks when using the Gnome menu but I don't even
know where to start looking.

Any help appreciated,
Enno Fennema