gnome-session doesn't save settings

Hi, I am running gnome 2.14.3 on Debian Etch.
I want to be able to change my startup programs via Desktop->Preferences->Sessions,
i.e. gnome-session
However, it doesn't work. I want to remove 'bluetooth-applet' and add 'xbindkeys',
but when I do this (on the 'Startup Programs' tab) and then 'Save the current session'
on the 'Session Options' tab, and then restart the computer, there is no change.
In fact my ~/.gnome2/session file is unchanged, but even when I manually change this file and delete the line for bluetooth-applet it is still listed in the 'Startup Programs' tab in the
gnome-session gui.
I am now using .gnomerc to start xbindkeys, but still want to know how to get gnome-session working properly and stop bluetooth-applet starting up everytime I boot up.

Can anyone help?