Back at the trash can problem ??

Hi;

I have no trash can on my desktop.

I have done the following:

re-installed Fedora 9 (for other reasons than the trashcan problem)
removed ~/.gconf in order to start fresh
loged in as user to get a new default ~/.gconf directory
removed the trash can applet that was on my lower panel (grefer it on my
desktop)
set gconf-editor => apps => nautilus => desktop => trash_icon_visible
true and false and true again several times;
tried  gconftool-2 --type bool
--set /apps/nautilus/desktop/trash_icon_visible true several more times
NO TRASHCAN on my desktop.

I have found two trash files /home/.Trash-0 & /home/.Trash-root.  If I
remember correctly, and that's a big if, that is all there should be.
After all, it is a new install. The /home partition was not re-formatted
but .gconf was removed and reconfigured as a default setup.

I am at wits end; neither google or 'help' offer a solution that I
haven't tried.

Any fresh suggestions will be gratefully received.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3