Saving Workspace

Hi All,

I'm trying out GNOME after almost 10 years of WindowMaker so natrually
I'm struggling.

How does one save their workspace so that the next time they login it
restores all of the applications to that state? I see that there's a
way to save the session when you exit but that saves whatever was
running *every* time you exit. I want things to be set a specific way
when I login so that if things get messed up I don't have to manually
restore everything.

Mike