Re: Window focus behavior

On Mon, 2007-19-11 at 10:47 -0700, Drake Emko wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am using Ubuntu and GNOME with the Metacity window manager, and I
> have not been able to figure out how to change the window focus
> behavior.
>
> I don't like it when you click on a window, and it raises to obscure
> everything that was overlapping it. This is normal behavior for most
> people (that is how it works in Windows), but I would like to know if,
> in GNOME/Metacity, I can configure the behavior so that windows don't
> raise when you click on them for focus. I would like to raise the
> window if I click on the titlebar, but if I click somewhere else in
> the window, I would like any overlapping windows to continue being
> visible even while I have focus in the partially obscured window.

I don't know of any way to do what you want exactly but you might try
the following similar behaviour.

Go to System->Preferences->Windows and in the dialog that comes up,
choose "Select windows when the mouse moves over them". Then leave the
"Raise selected window after an interval" option unchecked. You can now
move your mouse over a window to make it active without raising it and
so type into it for instance.

HTH, Bob

--
Dr. Robert J. Jerrard, Professor of Mathematics,
Concordia University College of Alberta,