Re: Keyboard layout and Fonts

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 17:00 +0200, Rafi Gabzu wrote:
> Sorry forgot to add subject
> Hi,
> After reinstall Debian (long story )  I found that GNOME is much
> better and nicer than KDE so I decided to stay with it , but now I do
> not know few things :
> 1. How do I set keyboard combination to toggle between two keyboard
> layout ?

Right-click on the panel and choose "Add to panel...". Pick "Keyboard
Indicator".
Once added, you can choose the keyboard layouts and also the keyboard
combination for switching. The latter is under "Layout Options"/"Group
Shift Lock behaviour". In there, pick Alt-Shift or anything else.
See also
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy#How_to_add_keyboard_layouts_for_other_languages

> 2. I'm looking for more nice English fonts than the current, which are
> recommended and how to install  ?
The default font is DejaVu (http://dejavu.sf.net/) and does a decent
work for me. I cannot recommend another.

> 3. Where can I see (graphical) the system properties like Kernel
> version, distribution, CPU etc. ?

System/Administration/Device Manager gives you some of the info. The new
GNOME (2.18) will have more support for this.

> General question : How do I overcome the " Public key " alarms I keep
> getting when performing update in Synaptic ?

If you get public key alarms from the default repositories of Ubuntu,
then something is quite wrong. If you added third-party repositories,
they also provide instructions to import their key.

Simos