configuring environment variables in debian etch with gnome-terminal

I'm configuring a new computer with debian etch
installed on it

I need to set my environment variables and use them in
gnome-terminal

I configure my variables in /etc/profile and such as
root or non-graphical mode is working ok

I run the following command wiht my regular user :

$ shopt | grep login

and it returns off to me

I set in gnome-terminal properties to :

gnome-terminal -on

but when I open a new terminal it still shows off

how can I proceed about this ?

http://farechase.yahoo.com/