migrate/replicate user's gnome environment?

Hi Folks

This seems like a bit of a  nub Q, so perhaps I'm missing something
obvious - but, perhaps not?

I want to dump my gnome account user settings so as to load them in a
fresh account following a clean install.

I've used:
[morgan morgansmachine ~]$ gconftool-2 --direct
--config-source=xml:readwrite:/home/morgan/.gconf  --dump / >
~/Desktop/gconftool-2.dump

Followed by:
[test morgansmachine ~]$ gconftool-2 --direct
--config-source=xml:readwrite:/home/test/.gconf
--load=/home/test/Desktop/gconftool-2.dump

At first glance this seemed to achieve the desired result.  Except for
my menu customisations, so:
- What's the process to re-create a custom menu configuration in a fresh
account
-- I've tried to simply copy ~/.local/share across but it seems to have
no effect (not even showing up as hidden entries in Alacarte).
- Is there a better way to achieve my desired results - that is,
re-create my gnome user set-up in a fresh account after a clean install?

 I feel what I'm trying to achieve is so basic that there must be
procedure that "just works" (a save and load command via gconf-editor
perhaps - am I missing something?

Any help much appreciated.

M.
--
Morgan Read
NEW ZEALAND

fedora: Freedom Forever!
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview

"By choosing not to ship any proprietary or binary drivers, Fedora does
differ from other distributions. ..."
Quote: Max Spevik
       http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/17/177220

RMS on fedora: