There has gotta be an easy answer - binding commands to keys ??

Hi;
I would like to bind a particular unicode to a
specific key or modifier + key (eg. Super + y = ctrl+shift+u2714).
How would I do that in gconf-editor metacity keybinding_commands?
If I can write a bash script to do it, can I bind the script?
Or,
How do I write <Ctrl> + <Shift> + U + 2714 so that an application will
read all the key strokes?
Or,
Is there a way to add U2714 to the compose list?

I have asked this question here and on the Gnome Forum and received no
reply.
Is it because the question is particularly stupid, difficult or just
boring?

--
Regards Bill