Re: GNOME news aggregators

On 2/27/07, AMAZIGH Aneglus <aneglus gmail com> wrote:
On 2/27/07, Lars Lindner <lars lindner gmail com> wrote:
> Therefore my question: Given those conditions does it make sense and is
> it possible and is there interest of having a GNOME based version of
> Liferea?

I do you mean by a gnome version of liferea ? support gnome libs ?

Yes, I wasn't very clear on this. Well, I know I can make the program use
the GNOME libraries without any involvement with the GNOME project at all.
But I'm wondering if tighter desktop integration and maybe integration with
other program is desirable (thinking of kde-pim).

> Besides Straw and Blam (I'm not sure about the activity of both
> projects) is there need for a non-Python and non-Mono GNOME news
> aggregator?

I think that we should not speak about "non-XYZ_slang" the thing is that
gnome have'nt any official news aggregator... so the "fight" is open. To my
mind rssowl is not enough "gnome" spirit but really powerful, and others are
Really Simple Feed Aggregator... Liferea fill the need of a normal desktop
user (even if the podcast support could be improved).

I think the best way for improving the podcast support would be
integration with other specialized applications/frameworks (gstreamer
and a download manager).

PS: why are you using LUA scripting ?

There is no real reason to have especially LUA, but there were also few
reasons against it. As Swig also supports Python it would is easy to use
Python or support both.

Lars