GNOME news aggregators

Hi!

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question, so
please point me to the correct list if necessary.

My concern is the following: Since a while I'm driving the development
of a GTK+ based news aggregator named "Liferea" [1]. For a long time the
goal was to go without GNOME to be a bit more portable (Solaris, Cygwin,
non-DE users...) with only minor build dependencies. In the recent time
this became less important and a lot of drawbacks became more apparent.
This begins with a self-written HTTP client, missing download manager
and MIME type support, problematic proxy configuration, missing password
managment and a lot of other issues.

As of today I'm pretty sure that most users will run Liferea with a
GNOME desktop installed which makes it appealing to reuse GNOME
components to gain code quality and time to focus on features.

Another important point is the relative lack of at developers working on
the project or simple code reviews as a standalone project.

Therefore my question: Given those conditions does it make sense and is
it possible and is there interest of having a GNOME based version of
Liferea? Besides Straw and Blam (I'm not sure about the activity of both
projects) is there need for a non-Python and non-Mono GNOME news
aggregator?

--
Lars Lindner

[1] http://liferea.sf.net