Window List panel - irritating behavior (clicks ignored)

Hi all

We use CentOS 4.4 in our development shop and those of us running Gnome suffer really irritating behavior from our Window List panels (version 2.8.1).

9 times out of 10, when an application icon is clicked in the Window List, the mouse click fails to bring the application to the foreground. Mousing over the icon highlights the icon okay, but clicking on it very rarely activates the app. If we click 'more slowly' then the problem isn't exhibited. But we find it hard to believe the Window List panel is missing 'fast' mouse click events.

This is unbelievably annoying and is the reason the rest of the guys opted to run KDE.

Has anyone witnessed this before?
--
Sean Dynan