Remote consoles

I need to select a remote console approach:

VNC, RDP, FreeNX.

The client system is my old Libretto 110ct that has only 64Mb memory, a 800x480 display and running D*^nSmallLinux.

The target systems are all Centos running Gnome 2.16.0.

I want to optimize client and server memory usage (and CPU usage).

And to do a decent job of rendering the Centos Gnome 1024x768 (my standard seletion, it could be 800x600 if I must) on the Libretto.

I think VNC is a non-starter. I do know how to run it over SSH for security, but there is no gain and much pain with it.

RDP might be OK, though I have to see about xRDP on Centos. FreeNX looks best?

So one thing is at least I should be able to turn off the local Desktop? As it seems neither xRDP or FreeNX are actually exporting the Desktop but giving access to the X-server? If so I might be able to specify the resolution of the remote client (800x480)?

And any other server optimizations? I do run old hardware for servers, typically 256 or 512Mb memory, which is fine in text mode, but Gnome is a memory glutton (and Gedit is so much nicer than vi !).

I do use Webmin a lot too...