gnome-volume-manager and gtk file selector

Hi. i'm Zofanor !
I use many Gnome apps but not the desktop. I like gtk/gnome apps.
In the file selector dialog, i can see hal volumes, but when i don't run
it from the gnome desktop, i must launch

gnome-volume-manager
and
gnome-settings-daemon

to get that behavior in the file selector. It's reasonably to run
gnome-volume-manager, but why i need gnome-settings-daemon ?
That service makes it work, but also brings a lot of gnome desktop
configurations that i don't want  to run, specially because it puts the
gnome's desktop background.

So, i want to know if there is some way to get the volume entries in
the file selector without running gnome-settings-daemon.

I hope to be clear despite my poor english.

Thank you all