load Order of Firefox/Thunderbird

hey Folks,

Running FC6 and GNOME.

I've tried scratching my head on how to start searching for answers to my problem but I think I lack the proper terms and vocab.

This is the problem.

1. I boot my computer (fine)
2. I login with ID and PW
3. Desktop starts to load, but before I see the gnome "loading splash screen" what ever this is called. I get firefox that checks for updates and then opens. I have to then close it manualy. Then Thunderbird starts up and I have to exit that manualy. 4. then the splash come sup with all the little icons that apear as various things load...
5. then I have my desktop.
6. Then I reopen thunderbird (to check e-mail)
7. then I open firefox to surf.
8. continue on with general procrastination.

How can I fix the problem of the pre-load issue of firefox and thunderbird.

I usualy do RPM's but no RPS'm avail for 2.x of either so I went with tar binaries.

I search for boot order and GDM and GNOM and GNOME desktop and display maner etc etc etc... but nothing documenting this behaviour... i tried searching bugs at the mozilla bug pages for both issues and still nothing.....

any ideas?

Cheers