Wrong theme when logged in on a second VT

I have a Debian Sarge system on a 1.8 GHz Pentium.

In gdm.conf, it is configured to have three separate X servers on VT7,
VT8, and VT9.  (There's also a "second seat" with its own screen and
keyboard, but that's another story.).

Each person in the house (there are three) can stay logged in on one of
the VTs at the main seat, keying Ctrl-Alt-F7 (or F8 or F9) to instantly
bring up the right screen.

However, there is a few small issues!

If a user is logged in, e.g. on VT8, and then does Ctrl-Alt-F9 and logs
in on VT9, the desktop is not quite right.

Specifically:
- All the file icons look like a tilted, curled sheet of paper with the
upper left corner turned over.  I can't find this icon in the set that
is available under Desktop Preferences-Theme-Theme details-icons.
- The text in the desktop and in Gnome terminal is a different size.

It looks to me like Gnome  is opening some configuration file for
read-write access.  When the second instance of Gnome tries to open the
file read-write, it can't, since the first instance already has it
open.  So it goes to a default.

Any suggestions?

Jack Dodds

This email is digitally signed using the Enigmail
and GnuPG packages (http://enigmail.mozdev.org),
which can also be used by the recipient to verify
the digital signature.