./configure problem with gnome-config

Trying to install gnutrition on FreeBSD 6.2,
./configure returns error message "did not find
libglade installed".
gnome-config --libs libglade returns "Unknown library
libglade"
gnome-config --libdir returns "/usr/local/lib"
libglade exists in /usr/local/lib
gnome-config --libs * returns "Unknown..." for every
listing.
Also, libglade-2.0 exists in /usr/local/include but
that is a directory and its subdirectory (glade)
contains a number of script files.
This is rather confusing... I do not understand why
libglade is not found either by ./configure or on
command line (both using gnome-config)
Generally, I am able to find sufficient information in
help files or on the net to deal with most
installation and runtime problems. Here, I am stumped.
Thanks in advance for any help ...
Philip

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/