Special keys don't work anymore

Hello list,

I just installed gentoo on my computer, overwriting my old debian
installation. To not to confuse the newly installed system, I moved my
config files to another directory, and started to re-configure my new
system. On my keyboard I have several special keys, like volume up/down,
mute, email, and such (do I remember well, are these called multimedia
keys? :)). I set them to use with the gnome-keybinding-properties app.
However, after a while, I really don't have an idea why, these keys
started not to work anymore. What can cause this? Maybe I set something
wrong in xorg.conf, or is gnome responsible for it?

Regards,
Gergely Polonkai