Re: Anti-aliased fonts

Tomasz Lorek <tlorek <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there!
> Is it possible to make some fonts not anti-aliased, other
> anti-aliased? Let's say 6-14px are clear, <6 and >14 are antialiased?
> It's annoyng that all fonts are antialiased and that makes screen not
> readable for me. In KDE this is just good for me, but I'd prefer to
> use Gnome instead

Yes, configuring fontconfig directly (should be the default on recent/modern
distributions) instead of using the Gnome fonts capplet. You put a ~/.fonts.conf
in your home dir (or you can create a global one, probably in
/etc/fonts/local.conf, check your distribution) with a rule to enable AA only
for some point size.

Fontconfig is quite flexible, you'll find plenty of examples on web, try looking
for "fonts.conf compare antialias false", the 4th google hit seems my
fonts.conf, or at least what i was using some months ago, and finally the
official documentation is at freedesktop.org...

http://fontconfig.org/fontconfig-user.html
http://fontconfig.org/fontconfig-devel/

Andrea