Re: remove update icon

Ritesh Khadgaray wrote:
On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 14:10 -0400, Ron Salyers wrote:
I'm running Red Hat AS 4 and I want to remove the update icon from the panel so my users don't see it. I was able to remove the sound applet, but I can't seem to remove that update notifier.

edit /usr/share/gnome/default.session file and remove rhn-applet line
along with associated lines.

Thanks!

Also, once I remove it I plan to dump the panel settings for root and load them into the default settings. Is there anything I need to be concerned about when doing this? Or is it just that simple? The documentation mentions I should change the positions of panel objects from absolute to relative, but it looks like that's already the case. I assume I don't have to worry about that?

sorry, a bit lost. Would you like to have default settings for other
users ?

Yes. I'm modifying /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults so that the first time they login they get what I want them to get. It looks like there aren't default panel settings in this directory. It looks like that directory gets created based on the entries file. So, for example, I removed the sound icon as root, used the gconf tool to dump the /apps/panel directory, and used gconf tool to load it into the default gconf directory. That seemed to work. I just assumed it would be the same for the update icon. Is that the wrong way to do it?

I guess I still don't totally understand how it all works together.

Thanks,

Ron

Thanks,

Ron