Re: Playing a sound when GDM is "ready"

Ritesh Khadgaray wrote:
On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 14:11 -0400, Jos�lburquerque wrote:
How do I "play sounds from within gdm"? Do you mean from within my gnome session? When I play within my session from a gnome-terminal I get an error:

i use gdmsetup which provides a option for me to check if i can play
audio. I run the command from gnome-terminal as root to allow me to see
any relevant debug message.

Sorry about that I wasn't quite sure what you meant. When I run from gdmsetup terminal here's my output:

jose sweety:~/bin$ sudo gdmsetup
Password:
sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Device or resource busy
jose sweety:~$ play /usr/share/sounds/generic.wav
sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Device or resource busy

But as I said, when I click on a menu item or press a button (on my desktop), I still get sound. In my sound preferences I have esound enabled and system sounds. Maybe esd is "blocking" the device?

esd usually does not block the sound card, until unless another
application is using esd to play audio.

You're probably right; I think I'll have to check my audio set up. But you should know that I solved the problem by installing sox (which was not installed on my system).

Your suggestion to try to play the audio prompted me to install sox while the other suggestion cleared up the mechanism by which gdm "plays sound" (very informative). The funny thing is that the sound plays just fine when gdm is ready for login but not when I'm logged in as the output above shows.

At any rate.  Thanks a million.

--
Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque