Re: Playing a sound when GDM is "ready"

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 14:11 -0400, Jos�lburquerque wrote:
> Ritesh Khadgaray wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 09:41 -0400, Jos�lburquerque wrote:
> >
> >> Hi.  I have bit of a sound question with regards to gdm.  Recently I did
> >> a fresh install of a GNU/Linux system (Debian) running GNOME 2.14.  All
> >> went well except that I configured the Login Window (from my
> >> "Desktop->Administration" menu) for 1) timed login and 2) play the
> >> "generic.wav" sound file (in /usr/share/sounds) when the login screen is
> >> ready.
> >>
> >> My system is running alsa and all sound applications (like xmms, totem,
> >> etc.) work just fine.  In fact, my session runs esound (esd) and all my
> >> gnome sounds play fine (ie. when I select a menu or press a button, etc.)
> >>
> >> GDM, however, does not play the sound file I selected.  Would anyone
> >> have any idea why gdm would not play sound?  When gdm comes up (after a
> >> logout or a boot up), it only makes the "computer sound" (from the
> >> computer cpu) but no sound to the speakers.
> >>
> >> A simple explanation as to what gdm does to play a sound would help
> >> greatly!  Thanks very much
> >>
> > not to sure but do check out alsa volume setting from a virtual
> > terminal, and try playing the sounds from within gdm.
> >

> How do I "play sounds from within gdm"?  Do you mean from within my
> gnome session?  When I play within my session from a gnome-terminal I
> get an error:

i use gdmsetup which provides a option for me to check if i can play
audio. I run the command from gnome-terminal as root to allow me to see
any relevant debug message.

> jose sweety:~$ play /usr/share/sounds/generic.wav
> sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Device or resource busy
>
> But as I said, when I click on a menu item or press a button (on my
> desktop), I still get sound.  In my sound preferences I have esound
> enabled and system sounds.  Maybe esd is "blocking" the device?

esd usually does not block the sound card, until unless another
application is using esd to play audio.

--
Ritesh Khadgaray
LinuX N Stuff