Re: Multihead madness, or, things I'd like to do with the desktop, but can't

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 11:48:18AM -0700, Alan wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 02:03:45PM -0400, Jason M Sullivan wrote:
> >
> > I've recently started fooling around with multihead operation on my laptop,
> > and I've come across a few UI things that I can't figure out how to do.  I
> > have a multihead display, but I don't always use the second monitor.  This
> > leads to the following situation.
> >
> > When I run in Xinerama mode, I get applications placed on the "other"
> > screen, and no way to move them to the main screen without turning them on.
> > I can't figure out a way to either..
> >
> >    a) Disable (or restrict) autoplace.
> >    b) Use the workspace switcher to drag the app over to the correct
> >       monitor.
> >
> Not really a solution, but you can move them by alt-tabbing to the
> hidden app, then hitting ctrl-space (activate window menu) and then m
> (move) then use the mouse or arrow keys to move the app around.

I also found that I can grab the button for the window in the winfow list
applet and select "move" from the menu, and be able to move the window
over to the visible desktop.

I thought of a third oiption, which is to dynamically activate and
deactivate dual-head mode in Xinerama, then can extend and retract the
desktop on to the other monitor at my whim.  Is that currently being worked
on?

--
   //))           Jason M. SULLIVAN   jsullivan nc rr com
  |c-oo                  http://www.jason0x21.org
 //\_-     "That's not music, that's just sound!" - J. David Fries