Re: Upgrade to Gnome 2.14

yinglcs2 yahoo com wrote:

> Can I update gnome 2.14 to Fedora via yum now?

<cut>

Don't do that. If you do that, you'll upgrade it to FC5 that way.

# cat /mnt/test/etc/fedora-release
Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)

This is output from my test partition where I'm playing with Rawhide. It
might be better idea if you upgrade your GNOME to 2.12.2 via NRPMS
repository: http://www.nrpms.net/ If you use yum.conf file from
www.fedorafaq.org , you just have to enable it in
/etc/yum.repos.d/newrpms.repo and to make sure you have the following
line as it follows:

enabled=1

That would probably be a better approach. I don't understand why you
have to stay with FC4. Maybe you should consider this if you need some
older software compatibility:

---------------- from fc5 release notes --------------------------------
24. Backwards Compatibility

Fedora Core provides legacy system libraries for compatibility with
older software. This software is part of the Legacy Software Development
group, which is not installed by default. Users who require this
functionality may select this group either during installation, or after
the installation process is complete. To install the package group on a
Fedora system, use Applications=>Add/Remove Software, Pirut or enter the
following command in a terminal window:

su -c 'yum groupinstall "Legacy Software Development"'

Enter the password for the root account when prompted.

Hope I helped a bit. Cheers!

--
Igor Jagec