Re: (resend) shutdown, reboot buttons lost from 2.10 logout dialog

Hmmm... It could be only root should be able to shutdown or reboot the machine. Any distribution is installed on machine to be anything from one's personal pc to advanced servers used by many users. If any user could shut down a server, it vould be a serious flaw, cause there may be users logged in, which is using server apps which will fail if an sudden shutdown occurs. It's just the same reason servers use to have ups, and doubled power supplies. I'm thinking of "fail" as they won't start again without repair, and maybe restoring backups. Now, most installations will just restart all ok, but databases may be vulnerable to such cases.

I ain't into Mandriva at all, but it's my hypotesis that the shutdown/reboot buttons are removed on purpose.

Cincerely,
Sigmund

rm riches verizon net wrote:

(Sorry if this is a duplicate.  More than 12 hours have passed
since sending the original.)

Moving from Mandriva LE2005 to Mandriva 2006 has caused loss
of the shutdown and reboot buttons when logging out from a
Gnome session, at least on my systems that use runlevel 3
(text login) and no display manager.

I spent quite a bit of time searching and asking in a
Mandriva forum for a solution but found nothing useful.

Is there a reasonable way to give (selected) users back the
shutdown (and reboot) button(s)?

Switching to runlevel 5 and GDM is not an option.

My contingency plan, barring a more reasonable solution, is
to create empty files /etc/shutdown.allow.d/$USER for users
who are allowed to shut down a particular machine, then add
a couple lines of code to test for the file and set the
variables to true, then put the resulting binary in
/usr/local/bin.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.