Re: How to configure location of Desktop folder ?

Steve,

I certainly do thank you for spending your time to answer my call for help.  And I have found the setting in gconf-editor you described; I set it "on" and re-fired the desktop.

However, that does not solve my problem.  What that did was put an icon on my graphical desktop for every directory and file in my home directory.

Maybe you did not understand my question ... but I have the impression you can help me solve this problem so please hang in with me one more round.

You mentioned, "When .desktop became Desktop ...".  What I want to achieve, I guess, is to put it back the way it was.  I want the preferences repository to NOT be laying out in my home directory as a visible folder.  I want to be able to cause "Desktop" (in my home directory) to become .desktop (a hidden directory among so many other hidden directories in my home directory).  Can you tell me how to do that?  ... maybe with another option in gconf-editor?

I am very grateful for your willingness to help.  I think a lot of other folks would be grateful, too!

Thanks!

Steve George wrote:
Bob,

In gconf-editor there is a setting to specify whether to use the Home directory or Desktop directory for nautilus.

It is under apps->nautilus->preferences called "desktop_is_home_dir"

When .desktop became Desktop I just symlinked the two together.

Regards,

Steve

On 1/29/06, Bob Marcum <bmarcum houston rr com <mailto:bmarcum houston rr com>> wrote:

    Todd Walton wrote:
     > On 1/27/06, Bob Marcum <bmarcum houston rr com
    <mailto:bmarcum houston rr com>> wrote:

     >>How may I configure the gnome "Desktop" directory to be somthing
    else ... as in .desktop??

     > Oh, jeez yes.  Please tell me.

    Are y'all saying this can't be done?!!  Say it isn't so!  That would
    be a cruel joke.

    Can we hear from somebody authoritatively that this can or cannot be
    done?  Please.