Re: Window properties - roles?

On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 15:44 -0500, Andy Harrison wrote:
> On 12/1/06, Mariano Su�z-Alvarez <msuarezalvarez arnet com ar> wrote:
> >
> > The way to set up a window manager in gnome is exactly the way proposed
> > by that openbox page: get the window manager you want working (how to do
> > that surely depends on the window manager...) and then save the session.
> >

> Maybe it's just me, but that seems like a really bad idea for the
> official way to change your wm.  If you need to change it because
> you're hoping to recover from some misbehavior that's serious enough
> to prevent you from logging in, you're out of luck.  If your session
> environment is already screwed up somehow, it's just going to get
> saved right along with replacing the wm.
>
> Probably not issues that are encountered very often, it just seems
> like there's a lot of room for error.

Well, when something goes wrong with starting a saved session, the
canonical fix is to remove the ~/.gnome2/session file (you could edit
it, too...). That will take care of the wm as much as of anything else
in the session. Of course, you need to do this from outside of a gnome
session. (This is not really a limitation in case your problem is bad
enough that you cannot log in to GNOME, of course...)

-- m

--
Mariano Su�z-Alvarez
http://www.gnome.org/~mariano