Re: Why doesn't this sudo script using zenity work??

On date Friday 2006-12-01 05:02:30 -0500, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have tried several variations of the following script and googled for
> some clues. No joy.
>
> #! /bin/bash
> # Open nautilus as root
> #
>
> sudo nautilus --no-desktop --browser
> if zenity --entry \
> 	--title="Browse files as root" \
>     --text="Enter your _password:" \
>     --entry-text "" \
>     --hide-text
> then echo $?
> else echo "No password entered"
> fi
>
> # End
>
> sudo nautilus --no-desktop --browser works on the command line.
> Why doesn't this sudo script using zenity work??

Because you need sudo to read the password passed by zenity on stdout.
So you have to do:

zenity --entry \
       --title="Browse files as root" \
       --text="Enter your _password:" \
       --entry-text "" \
       --hide-text \
| sudo -S nautilus --no-desktop --browser

then control the return code of sudo to check that the password
entered was correct.

HTH
Regards
--