Fast user switching weirdness

When I click on the fast user switching-applet, I get a list of users on
that computer. If I click on my wife (with whom I share this computer)
on that list, my expectation is that it would prompt me for my wife's
username, after which it would take me to her desktop. But that does not
happen. If I click on her username, I'm taken to the GDM, where I have
to manually enter her username and password. In this case, what's the
point of displaying a list of users, if I have to manually enter the
users username, even though I clicked on that user just seconds ago? It
seems that I could have more users in the computer, and it would not
matter at all which user I clicked on the list, since I would just be
taken to the GDM, where I would have to manually log in anyway.

Is this a bug or by design? If it's a bug, is it in the distro (Ubuntu
Dapper) or in GNOME itself?