Re: How to upgrade to a newer version of GNOME?

IMHO. If your going to have to install another version then I would consider UBUNTU.
It's based on Debian so you will have to reformat  your drive but in the long run I think its a better choice.

http://www.ubuntulinux.com
You can download the live cd iso and burn it to a disk. The live cd will let  you test drive it without having
to install it.

Just my opinion.